Twenty eight children, aged from 1 to 10, with a form of epileptic encephalopathy will be asked to participate in this study. It will be an open-label study with dosage escalation. During the study data will be collected on the following:
- To determine if CBD is safe and well-tolerated for pediatric patients with treatment resistant epileptic encephalopathy
- To determine the effect of CBD on the frequency and duration of seizures
- To determine if CBD alters the effects of prescribed anticonvulsant medications
- To assess the relation between dose escalation and quality of life measures
- To determine the relation between CBD dose escalation and prescribed anticonvulsant medications
- To determine the relation between dose escalation and the incidence of adverse effects.
As this study is still in phase one trial, the results are not yet available. Once completed, the study will provide the first available high quality data on the safety of CBD extract to treat pediatric patients with drug resistant epilepsies.
To read the full article, click here.